Where Does the Rubbish Come From?

Dhimurru Ranger, Banula Marika, wondering where all this rubbish came from after a cleanup on Cape Arnhem, NT. Photo Jane Dermer.

What is the Source of all this Rubbish?

Using the WWF Net Kit, analysis from the GNA data show that nets recognised as those employed by Australian fisheries are consistently below 10%. This poses the question as to where does the other 90% come from?

Additionally, the proportion of unidentified nets for the period of 2010-2012 has increased slightly from the previous period 2004-2009, indicating newer nets entering the system are not captured by the current resources available for net identification.

To understand more about the source of this rubbish we need to also understand

  • the abundance and distribution (hotspots),
  • the movement of the nets,
  • the geographical origin,
  • the types of fisheries that use the nets, and
  • the stakeholders.

For a full account of all data results please email to request a copy of our 2012 Summary Report.

Which fisheries are responsible?

Which fisheries do the nets belong to?

Learn more

Abundance and Distribution

Where are most of the nets washing up?

Learn more

Satellite Tracking

Satellite technology is helping us answer some important questions.

Learn more